At SODEI we believe in the power of education as the key instrument to unlocking the potential of the younger generation and the vehicle for driving peace and sustainable development in local communities. We believe in fostering the goals of ‘Education for All’ aimed at meeting the learning needs of children, youths and adults. Access to education has been seriously affected due the conflict and poverty in the Northwest and Southwest regions of Cameroon.
We believe in the fundamental right of every child to access to education as a vital component for realising their full potential and their development; to be able to play an active role in the communities in which they live. We believe educational opportunities will guide children and youths towards making informed choices, removing them from crime and violence, and radicalisation.
We strongly believe in the importance of access to education in all circumstances including in times of conflict. We believe in promoting the respect to the right to access education during conflict times, especially for children, girls and boys, and the importance for all actors to work towards protecting this right.
We believe in the power of education in transforming lives and combating poverty. We work towards guiding youths towards self-reliance and independence. In so doing we prioritise vocational and technical training. We also value the importance of recreational activities in building self-esteem, healthy relationships with other members of the community.
We see the Sustainable Development Goals Agenda 2030 as a useful guide towards transformation and achieving the goals of youth emergence and development in an atmosphere of peaceful coexistence among communities.
Benefits of Education
- Education is the foundation of social and economic development
- Education is a crucial investment in the push towards world freedom
- Education is the key to unlocking freedom to the people
- Educations presents a plethora of benefits to communities stricken by violence, crime and radicalisation.
- Education is a sustainable means to alleviate poverty and encouraging lasting change.
- Education offers youths self-reliance
- Education is the best weapon against impoverishment, disease, prostitution, early marriage, gang activities, crime, violence and radicalisation.
- Educations offers youths a better chance of combatting these issues and gives them a better chance of building a positive path in life.
- Moreover, education teaches youths social studies, geography and history, all subjects which present youths with a better cross-cultural understanding which in turn can present a first step in conflict resolution.
Challenges to Education
- Lack of financial support
- Lack of qualified teachers
- Lack of resource materials
- Low university admission capacity
- Corruption, indiscipline and fraud
- Poor living standards
- Bad governance
- Politicisation of education
Supportive charities like SODEI can provide communities with essential support, such as essential learning materials, and financial support, without which many youths feel pressured into jobs to support their families, allowing youths better access to education and all its benefits.